SPORT

Mendy, City star, released on bail, faces seven counts of rape

Mendy, City star, released on bail, faces seven counts of rape

Manchester City defender Benjamin Mendy has been freed on bail after appearing at Chester Crown Court on Friday, January 7, 2022.

Mendy has been charged with eight offences against five women.

The charges includes seven counts of rape and one of sexual assault. He was granted bail with ‘stringent’ conditions by judge Patrick Thompson. Mendy appeared in court alongside co-defendant Louis Saha Matturie.

The Manchester City star will have to surrender his passport; live at his home address and make no contact with the complainants, Mendy was told.

Mendy has previously been denied bail on two separate occasions in the past. He has been held in custody for 134 days since he was first arrested on August 26; same day he was also suspended by Manchester City.

Mendy

The City star will next appear in court on January 24, with Judge Thompson warning that failure to attend will result in the issuing of an arrest warrant. He was earlier this week transferred to one of Britain’s toughest prisons over fears for his safety.

The Frenchman had previously been located in Liverpool’s HMP Altcourse, which is a category B prison. However, he was moved to Manchester’s Strangeways during the Christmas period alongside co-defendant, Louis Saha Matturie.

A trial date is expected to be set for either June 27 or August 1 after the original date of January was pushed back.

Meanwhile, Bernardo Silva has been charged with misconduct by the Football Association over a tweet he posted in reference to Manchester City team-mate Benjamin Mendy.

The Portuguese tweeted an image of a young Mendy. He tweeted it alongside an image of the brand mascot of Spanish confectionery brand Conguitos on September 22.

He deleted the post before posting a second tweet which said, “Can’t even joke with a friend these days… You Guys…”.

Football’s anti-discriminatory body Kick It Out condemned the tweet which has now led to an FA charge, to which Silva has until October 9 to respond.

Due to the nature of the FA charge, Silva could face a six-match ban if found guilty.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Back to top button