NEWS

COVID-19: FG says investigation still ongoing into strange deaths in Kano

The Federal Government says there are no conclusions yet with regard to ‘strange’ deaths in Kano State; which many have suspected may have been due to the dreaded COVID-19.

The Minister for Health, Dr Osagie Ehanire, disclosed this on Thursday in Abuja. He was speaking at the daily briefing of the Presidential Task Force (PTF) on COVID-19.

Ehanire said that investigations were still ongoing in the matter.

Kano State had witnessed a number of yet-to-be-explained deaths in the recent past. No fewer than 150 people were feared dead in the state; prompting investigations to determine whether the deaths were related to COVID-19.

According to the minister, unexplained deaths did not only occur in Kano but in eight states of the federation.  However, he assured that the Health Ministry would continue to investigate them.

Ehanire disclosed that Nigeria had been able to learn from ongoing interactions with Chinese personnel; based on their own experiences in dealing with the COVID-19 pandemic in China. Also, he encouraged those who claimed to have solutions to COVID-19 to go ahead with researches on them. He stated that the National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC); is there for all researchers to approach.

“Nobody needs to give you permission to approach NAFDAC,” he declared.

Further, Ehanire said that the ministry was ensuring continued delivery of routine services in all hospitals in the country.

“Latest statistics from the National Health Management Information System indicates that out-patient visits dropped from for million; to about two million and antenatal visits from 1.3 million to 655,000. Others include skilled birth attendance, from 158,374 to less than 99,000, while immunisation services reduced by about half.

“All these failings have yet undetermined consequences, which the easing of the lockdown should hopefully address.

“However, the suspected downside of easing restrictions has to be balanced off by citizens; with collective determination by all of us, not only to comply with protective and prophylactic advisories; but to encourage relatives, friends neighbours and customers to do same,” he said.

The minister said that the use of facial covers such as masks in places, where social distancing may be difficult; should be emphasised and supported through distribution of masks to the population, as an act of goodwill.

“Face masks should in fact become commonplace… I look forward to seeing that cooks, stewards and food vendors, for example, wear masks or lose their customers.

“I wish to enjoin workplaces to institute such requirements and ensure that all workers are masked and knowledgeable about COVID-19; and by extension, share it with their families and relations,” he said.

The Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed; while responding to a question on provision of insurance for journalists; said it was the responsibility of employers to provide insurance for their frontline workers.

Mohammed said that journalists were frontline workers in curbing the coronavirus outbreak in Nigeria. Thus, the minister said that there was the need for media owners to provide insurance for their staff.

Tags

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button
Close
Close