NEWS

Coronavirus: FG yet to receive donations by Dangote, others – Relief Fund Coordinator

The Federal Government on Thursday, April 2; revealed how the donations by private individuals towards the fight against Coronavirus pandemic are being utilized.

Nigerians across the nation have queried the FG on how these funds are being spent; especially in the wake of the request by the ministry of finance to US billionaire, Elon Musk for more ventilators.

In order to clear all doubts, the National Coordinator of the Presidential Taskforce on COVID-19; Sani Aliyu during a briefing in Abuja, explained that the billions donated are not going to the coffers of the government.

According to him, the money is in a separate account and has nothing to do with the Federal Government.

Aliyu said: ‘The private sector has a separate fund which is run through the Coalition Against Coronavirus Disease.

“That’s where you get most of the announcements that this person has given a billion and this is a separate account. It has nothing to do with the government and the money will not come to the government.

“We appreciate the help of the private sector in helping us and they will be providing us with commodities but the money they are currently collecting will not come to the government.

“It is a separate bank account.”

Meanwhile, the Vice Presidential Candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP); Peter Obi, has dismissed social media reports that he donated N1 billion to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) relief fund.

This was contained in a statement issued on Tuesday, March 31; by his Media Office and signed by Valentine Obienyem.

“I have not donated to the fund”, Peter Obi said.

This was in reaction to the list of purported donors to the fund which has gone viral.

Peter Obi appears as number 33 and a billion Naira indicated as the amount he has allegedly donated.

However, Obi said the issue at hand was so scary and of great importance to the world; especially Nigeria to be tainted by any manner of fake news.

He implored purveyors of fake news to desist from that.

“As a Nigerian, I am deeply worried about the situation in the world; especially what Nigeria and her citizens are going through.

“I had earlier made case for the vulnerable and advised that their plight should be a priority in any decision on how to fight the pandemic”, Obi said.

Tags

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button
Close
Close